Cold & Flu Community
deep cough constant for 7 weeks

This forum is for questions and support regarding cold and flu issues such as: Adult Cold, Adult Flu, Child Cold, Child Flu, Drugs and Medications, Immune Compromised Cold and Flu issues, Cold and Flu Prevention, Pneumonia, Senior Cold, Senior Flu, Treatments, Vaccines, The Flu Shot.

deep cough constant for 7 weeks

hi im wondering if you could possiably give me some advice to get rid of this really agitating cough i have had for the past seven weeks. im at my wits end with it.

I have been to my doctor  twice regarding it and they seem to have no idea what it is. all they give me is antibiotics which dont work at all. i was prescribes co-amoxiclav 150/50mg for a week  then again prescribed another dose of antibiotics but 500mg which only succeded in making me sick.

The cough seems to be worse first thing in the morning. but does play up during the day especially once im outside. i cough and cough until im dizzy and almost end up vomiting. i had a chest xray and nothing showed up on that either. have had bllod tests and the only thing came back was the heamoglobin was up at 182 and was told it was ment to be at 180 so they werent concerd with that at all.
tryed telling them that im constantly coughing up mucas and gasping for air.

hopefully you can help me with this matter as its driving me crazy..

thanks rgeddes1980
7 weeks of cough is really long.  Ask your doctor about pertussis

You took augmentin for the first week.  I wonder if the other antibiotic was azithromycin?

It's reassuring that your CXR was normal.

It's more concerning if the hemoglobin is low rather than high.
I too have had a cough for 7 weeks now . It started as a chesty cough, took antibiotics and cough mixture. The cough eased but didnt disappear but apart from that I felt fine. It continued for about 5 more weeks then it suddenly worsened again with phlegm coming up during each cough. Doctor gave me 'Zedd' - 1 tablet/3 days and Bisolvyn cough medicine. I got a repeat after the 4th day as it didnt seem to make a difference. I'm still coughing, still bringing  in case its allergy related.
Kim
Tessalon Pearls definitely is one that works to control that really bad unexpectant cough especially during the night when your trying to sleep.  I had a really bad cold back to back with the flu with the second one and I was sick for three going on four weeks.  I took every cough syrup there was and nothing helped AT ALL.  Finally I made an appointment with the Dr.'s office due to lack of sleep with this horrible cough and I told them that I was so sick of cough syrup and please not to prescribe me any because I was so sick of the taste.  I was given Tessalon Pearls, the Nurse Practioner said it will really help with my cough and I'll be able to get some sleep.  I was real skeptical at first since nothing worked.  To my surprise it really did control my cough and I was finally able to sleep again.  It helped me a lot and I as a matter of fact am fighting a cold right now.  I had two Tessalon Pearls left over from my last cold last winter, I took one last night and I slept like a baby.

I'm pretty sure this will help you because it sure did me.
I too have had a cough for 7 weeks straight - went on a cruise in this time 87 temps laid in the sun, tried to drink it out one night, been to the dr 4xs already they have had me on z-pak, anti, cough syrup, cough pills, puffer, nasal stuff, over the counter meds, zzzz-quil to sleep, night quil and motrin for the pain in my rib cage from coughing.  From coughing so much with the bad attacks I loose my bladder now from this ongoing issue.  Feels like i have something in my throat.  Dr keeps telling me time - chest xray came back negative.....any ideas?  Ive had enough.
I have had mine for over 9 months anti biotics work for a short while then its back, I put mine down to environmental allergies, caused by the aerial spraying they are doing ...
im not sick. but i do have high blood pressure. but i cough so much. through out the day. my eys get watery so i dont wear my make up. and it sometimes gets worse at night. pllease help.
I think you need to consult with the good doctor. May be its because of some kind of allergy.
Persistent coughing and gasping for air can be due to Asthma.
Antibiotics will not get rid of problems that are caused by virus and allergic reactions.

Anything can irritate and set off the coughing and gasping, mould spores, hot dry conditions, damp and cold conditions, pet hairs, cigarette smoke, chemical fumes, just to name a few.

To check whether you have now developed asthma, ask your doctor for a lung function test.  He can refer you to the hospital to do this, or he can check your peak flow by using a breathing metre that measures how much air you can expel.

I was diagnosed as being mildly asthmatic in my mid 40s.  I had a persistent cough that would not go away.  When you get a cold it does get worse.  I have a Ventolin  inhaler to help when I am short of breath.