Cold & Flu Community
is the colour of mucus an indicator of infection??

This forum is for questions and support regarding cold and flu issues such as: Adult Cold, Adult Flu, Child Cold, Child Flu, Drugs and Medications, Immune Compromised Cold and Flu issues, Cold and Flu Prevention, Pneumonia, Senior Cold, Senior Flu, Treatments, Vaccines, The Flu Shot.

Hello!

I am 25, female, relatively healthy.

In the last 10 days, I'm down with what i believe to be a common cold. It started as a sore throat, then i had a runny nose, then some low grade fevers and now I feel okay apart from one thing:

my congested nose.

My nose is extremely congested. My problem is that, unless i strain really bad when i blow it, nothing comes out. It makes my mouth really dry, it causes pressure behind my eyes and i get horrible headaches and minor earaches from it. I use saline 3 times a day to dehydrate it and I inhale on viks to relieve the pressure i am experiencing. An extra worry is that my mucus is thick and yellow/green. In the past days (and usually when i get a cold), it was watery and transparent/whitish.

I called my doctor and he said that it might be indicative of a secondary infection like a sinus infection. He told me to give it another 48 hours and if it doesn't get better, i should go and get checked.

Could a sinus infection start from such a minor cold?

I thought that only children got sinus infections!. Also, from what i saw online, a sinus infection is usually accompanied by fevers etc. I am okay, apart from my congested nose and my greenish snot!

what should i do now?

let it heal on its own? use some home treatments? or go to the doctor?
It sounds like you have a sinus infection. I have severe seasonal allergies that will sometimes turn into a cold, which can turn into an infection. I normally get sinus infections 1-2 times a year. It always starts with coldlike symptoms. Runny nose, coughing, congestion. Then it will turn into severe pressure behind my eyes and I will only have congestion w/fever and fatigue. I know that mucus when infected can cause greenish, yellow discharge. I don't think it will always cause a change in color. I had a sinus infection about a month ago and my nasal drip was clear. It also caused a constant cough at night while trying to sleep. You should see a doctor and have them look in your nose to see if nasal cavities are swollen. They can prescribe antibiotics that normally clear it up within a week. If you let it go, and it is an infection, it can get worse causing infection in ears and lungs as well. I hope this information has helped. I have alot of experience with infections. I hope you feel better!
Yes, typically  most sinus infections start after a cold.  If you think of the 'gunk' or mucus being trapped and not moving and left to fester (nice visual), that is when a bacterial infection starts and that is the difference between sinusitis and a cold.  A cold is a virus that a person can pass to another, an infection is something going on in  your own body that you can not pass along.  

I would double your fluid intake and try some over the counter mucinex. This helps thin that mucus.   And if it is a true sinus infection, then antibiotics will make you feel better in about 48 hours of starting it.  

Your basic question-------- green or yellow mucus indicats that there is pus in it and there is an infection.  However, I will say that my kids and I will get this type of mucus at the tail end of a cold and not have an infection----  so I think, based on my own family, that it doesn't always indicate infection.  However, with your other symptoms, it very well could in your case.  
good luck and hope you feel better