Cold & Flu Community
serious strep?

This forum is for questions and support regarding cold and flu issues such as: Adult Cold, Adult Flu, Child Cold, Child Flu, Drugs and Medications, Immune Compromised Cold and Flu issues, Cold and Flu Prevention, Pneumonia, Senior Cold, Senior Flu, Treatments, Vaccines, The Flu Shot.

serious strep?

my boyfriend had strep throat all last week and a few days after being with him alot (before he knew it was strep and got antibiotics) i started feeling sick so i went to the doctor and tested a faint positive for strep. i felt misserable for a good 4 days and now its day 5 on my antibiotics and my voice is gone!! all my other symptoms are gone except for my burning throat and now i cant talk. i read everywhere online that it is very rare for strep to cause you to lose your voice so could it be something else? helpppp its sooo painful!!
The infection may have now spread to your larynx (voice box).

This may be part of the bacterial infection or a viral problem.  If it is a viral problem the antibiotics will not help.

The best thing is to drink plenty of warm drinks (avoid milk) and take pain relief and suck on throat lozengers.

Do NOT speak.  Trying to speak can damage the vocal chords beyond repair.  Use paper and pen and write any messages rather than trying to force a voice. If you have a cough, do this as gently as possible.  Do not even whisper.  I was 17 when this first happened to me and the doctor gave me the advice I am giving to you now.  I had to look after my voice because I loved singing.  Although I did sing in public, I didn't become a professional singer.

When the larynx is ill, it needs complete rest to recover.  If you keep trying to use the voice by force or shouting or even whispering, the damage to the vocal chords can get to the point that you could end up having vocal nodules and the voice not return to normal.

You may know of some pop singers who have very croaky voices.  Bonny Tyler is one, can't remember the name of the bloke singer.

So, mummmmms the "word".

Best wishes.  :)

I was told to gargle with Kaopectate mixed with Benadryl. Mix 4 oz of cherry benadryl (relieves scratchy throat) with 4 oz of cherry Kaopectate (coats the throat stops the burn). Then just gargle swish it in around in your throat. Can swallow it if you want to.