Cold & Flu Community
sore throat, loss of voice for three weeks

This forum is for questions and support regarding cold and flu issues such as: Adult Cold, Adult Flu, Child Cold, Child Flu, Drugs and Medications, Immune Compromised Cold and Flu issues, Cold and Flu Prevention, Pneumonia, Senior Cold, Senior Flu, Treatments, Vaccines, The Flu Shot.

I started getting sick on Sunday, 3/9. Coughing and blowing my nose.  On Monday the 10th I had swollen glands, slight fever, a sore throat, and I lost my voice. The cold has since subsided, hardly coughing any more, barely blowing my nose and when I do bring up phlegm its a pale yellow now. However, my sore throat still persists and I STILL do not have my voice back. I am a female who sounds like a dude going through puberty. I HATE IT and I AM SICK of it.  What can I do?

I have gone to my doctor twice already for the cold and it is NOT strep. I still wake up most mornings with swollen glands, which subside as the day progresses, and throat that is tender and hurts, and that, at times, subsides too, but my voice is gone. I was told to take 600 to 800mg of ibuprofen for the sore throat, but I am going through ibuprofen like water.  Is this a concern or will it just take more time to get rid of?  What should I do?  Thanks!