Cold & Flu Community
sore throat for a week

This forum is for questions and support regarding cold and flu issues such as: Adult Cold, Adult Flu, Child Cold, Child Flu, Drugs and Medications, Immune Compromised Cold and Flu issues, Cold and Flu Prevention, Pneumonia, Senior Cold, Senior Flu, Treatments, Vaccines, The Flu Shot.

sore throat for a week

I've had a massive pain in my throat for at least a week now. It hurts when I yawn,drink,or eat. It feels as if I have something the size of a quarter in my throat and its getting worse. What can I take to get rid of it. I'm 6 weeks pregnant and I've already had a miscarriage 4months ago and I'm highly worried I'm going to lose this one.
Well, you have a dilemna. You are correct is assuming that antibiotics may cause a miscarriage or birth defects. You have symptoms of a typical strep infection. On the other hand, people can die from a bacterial infection.  Sometimes these infections are self-limiting, and other times they go out of control, enter the lungs and develop into a life-threatening problem. You need to go to a physician and explain the problem.  Tell them you are concerned about the health of the baby.  You require an in-person evaluation by a medical doctor. Preferably a female physician. Tell the physician you want to avoid antibiotics if at all possible. There is no easy or correct course of action. It is a risk-benefit decision, in which you must take an active part.  You should not be taking aspirin or NSAID (Ibuprufin) anything to lower fever. Fever is a way of eliminating such infections. Take 2000 mg of crystaline vitamin C in divided doses, gargle with salt water, 1000 IU of vitamin D3, suck on zinc lozenges in the meantime. You and your baby are in my prayers.