sore throat for a week
I've had a massive pain in my throat for at least a week now. It hurts when I yawn,drink,or eat. It feels as if I have something the size of a quarter in my throat and its getting worse. What can I take to get rid of it. I'm 6 weeks pregnant and I've already had a miscarriage 4months ago and I'm highly worried I'm going to lose this one.
Well, you have a dilemna. You are correct is assuming that antibiotics may cause a miscarriage or birth defects. You have symptoms of a typical strep infection. On the other hand, people can die from a bacterial infection.  Sometimes these infections are self-limiting, and other times they go out of control, enter the lungs and develop into a life-threatening problem. You need to go to a physician and explain the problem.  Tell them you are concerned about the health of the baby.  You require an in-person evaluation by a medical doctor. Preferably a female physician. Tell the physician you want to avoid antibiotics if at all possible. There is no easy or correct course of action. It is a risk-benefit decision, in which you must take an active part.  You should not be taking aspirin or NSAID (Ibuprufin) anything to lower fever. Fever is a way of eliminating such infections. Take 2000 mg of crystaline vitamin C in divided doses, gargle with salt water, 1000 IU of vitamin D3, suck on zinc lozenges in the meantime. You and your baby are in my prayers.