Colitis Expert Forum
ASACOL DURING PREGNANCY

This forum is for questions and support regarding Colitis issues such as: Causes, Constipation, Diagnosis, Diarrhea, Drugs and OTC Medications, Fever, Living with Colitis, Loss of Appetite, Preventing Flare-ups, Research, Symptoms, Support, Surgery, Tests, Treatments, Types of Colitis

ASACOL DURING PREGNANCY
I was diagnosed with ulcerative colitis in Feb 2009 and since then have been using Asacol tablet form 800mg 3 times per day. In Dec 2009 after 3 years of trying to conceive managed to fall pregnant. As soon as I found out I stopped taking my medication but after 4 weeks of this fell really ill with the colitis. Since then I started taking a reduced dosage of 400 mg 3 times a day but unfortunately this was not enough to reduce the inflammation and stop the bleeding and abdominal pains. My specialist put me on Asacol suppositories 500mg twice a day along with having a fybogel once a night.
Even though my midwife and GP tell me that using this drug is safe during pregnancy I am still very worried and it is always on my mind with the possible side effects to the baby.
Please can you advise and tell me of any potential hazards with Asacol during pregnancy.
Many Thanks

Asacol is a safe medication and can be taken during pregnancy.
It may cause folic acid deficiency.
So take folic acid supplements along with it.