Colitis Expert Forum
Blood and mucus in stool

This forum is for questions and support regarding Colitis issues such as: Causes, Constipation, Diagnosis, Diarrhea, Drugs and OTC Medications, Fever, Living with Colitis, Loss of Appetite, Preventing Flare-ups, Research, Symptoms, Support, Surgery, Tests, Treatments, Types of Colitis

Blood and mucus in stool

Since January of this year I have had blood and mucus when I have a bowel movement. I have not checked, but it seems to be around the stool, and not mixed with it. At first there was no pain, but recently I have had a constant ache all around my stomach and have noticed I have been going to the bathroom less. The discomfort has continued now for a few days. There is also often the burning sensation that occurs when you are hungry, but the discomfort increases when I eat and the burn is there often. The blood is usually bright red and seems to be like that of a period when it first starts. What could this be? I have made an appt with my doctor but it is not for another week and a half. Should I try to make it sooner?
Blood and mucus in stool are signs of colitis.
A colonoscopy may be done for evaluation.