Colitis Expert Forum
Blood in stool

This forum is for questions and support regarding Colitis issues such as: Causes, Constipation, Diagnosis, Diarrhea, Drugs and OTC Medications, Fever, Living with Colitis, Loss of Appetite, Preventing Flare-ups, Research, Symptoms, Support, Surgery, Tests, Treatments, Types of Colitis

Blood in stool

I've had frequent bowel movement for many years.  For years I had blood in the stool occasionally (maybe once a month) but lately I find blood almost every other days.  The amount of blood is small, not enough to make the toilet bowl red but I can see it on the toilet paper when I wiped.  I had colonoscopy 3 years ago but it was normal.  I would like to know what else should I do at this point?  
Blood in stools could be due to many reasons like hemorrhoids, fissures, polyps, IBD, diverticulosis and malignancy.
If the blood is bright red  then the possible causes are hemorrhoids and fissures which are lesions lower down in the anal canal.
If the blood is darker or if there is associated mucus, then the source of bleeding is high up in the large bowel.
when i was dx i was having lots of mucus. when i did have blood i would have pain in my lower stomach an i would have to go to the bathroom right away. my blood was on my poo. when i had my colon thingy they said i had the start of Colitis.
I have both crohns and colitis. I had same thing blood in stool and mucus, sharp pains  they never got better and I ended up getting way, sick. Got inflimation tumors, lost 15 pounds of not doing anything. it was hell. I think you should scedule another appt. have another one.