Colitis Expert Forum
Can't go on my own - always use laxatives
About This Forum:

This forum is for questions and support regarding Colitis issues such as: Causes, Constipation, Diagnosis, Diarrhea, Drugs and OTC Medications, Fever, Living with Colitis, Loss of Appetite, Preventing Flare-ups, Research, Symptoms, Support, Surgery, Tests, Treatments, Types of Colitis

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Can't go on my own - always use laxatives

How do I know if I have Colitis?  I am constipated every single day of my life, especially the last 10 - 11 years.  I have to take laxatives to go to the bathroom.  I cannot go on my own.  Well, I was able to there for awhile bc of my medication, but now that effect has wore off and I am back to laxatives.  Could there be a problem else where?  I mean if I do not take a laxative I could go 3 weeks w/o going.  When I mention to the doctors, they do not seem concerned, I don' t know if it is that they are concentrating on my other medical issues or what, but they have just said, "do you take a laxative" and when I say yes, they are like, "okay it is probably a good idea".  Could the constipation be due to something else, like a medical issue elsewhere in the body or just in the intestines?  Or is it normal for women?

My boyfriend thinks it is not healthy and unnatural and thinks they should be taking me seriously.  He said that is bad that I don't go and thinks it is something serious.  Seeing as though my constipation issue is worse now.  I eat the same as anyone and I don't eat a lot of junk foods.  I don't get it.  Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Related Discussions
Hi,
Constipation can occur due to obstruction, certain medications,  certain metabolic, neurologic  and endocrine disorders.
A thorough evaluation has to be done which may include tests like colonoscopy and manometry.
================================================================
The information provided is for patients’ education only and is not a medical advice. Always consult your personal physician for complete evaluation of your health problem.

- Ratnakar Kini M.D.
3 Comments
Blank
I forgot to mention that I am lactose intolerant and for the last few years, not even milk has done the trick.  I drink lots of water, too.
Blank
Hi
I am the same way, can not go to the bathroom without laxative, and I can go 3 weeks without go # 2 if I don't take laxative, here at Cleveland Clinic I had a test done after 6 years of seeing doctors, and they did a lot tests and found out I have Sigmoidocele of second degree and also a rectocele, I just had my Rectocele Surgery 2 months ago and it seems nothing has improved, even though they said my surgery wass a success. Also I just had skin tag surgery 2 weeks ago and I still bleeding and also it looks like all my skin tags still there and one inside my anus  (flooping around).. Is it normal to still see all the skin tags around my anus on the outside or it is just swelle??? I had a good Dr.  recomended to me Dr. Wexner. So far I still constipated and they told me not to bother about the Segmoidocele 2o degree..
Blank
Continue discussion Blank
MedHelp Health Answers
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
RSS Expert Activity
469720_tn?1388149949
Blank
Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm-treatable... Blank
Oct 04 by Lee Kirksey, MDBlank