Colitis Community
Colitis, hemorrhoids

Colitis is swelling (inflammation) of the large intestine, which is also known as the colon. This community is a place to find others who share your interest in colitis. The purpose of the community is to share support and information with colitis patients and their loved ones. Topics in the community include: causes, clinical trials, complications, family issues, living with colitis, prognosis, research, surgery, treatments

Colitis, hemorrhoids

Hi, I'm a 42 YOA female.  After a colonoscopy, I was diagnosed with microscopic colitis and gastritis, approximately 15 months ago.I was given a treatment plan that included probiotics, Metamucil and vitamins.  I have not seen any improvement.  I was also tested for celiac disease, and other gastrointestinal disorders.  I have 2 children and were blessed with hemorrhoids after their births.  For the last 3 weeks I have been experiencing the most extreme flare with the hemorrhoids!  I'm also currently experiencing the diarrhea end of the forever oscillation between constipation and diarrhea.  With this I have had the most EXTREME pain and itching.  Also, I have some sort of "moisture" that occurs.  To describe, it's almost like when you have an abrasion and there is a clear, serum-like discharge....that is what this resembles.  I have tried EVERY OTC hemorrhoid cream, ointment, pad, wipe, suppository, powder, etc.  I have tried meds for yeast infections.  I have used prescription hydrocortisone cream.  I am at my wits end with this!  I am so uncomfortable!  Any advice would be so very appreciated.
Sometimes coffee has to be eliminated, or at least try a low-acid one.  The leaking does occur when hemorrhoids are acting up sometimes.  Use a panty liner positioned farther back and also you can stuff a cotton ball in the crack to catch fluid.  Remove them rather than flushing them.  Neem soap may help the skin recover from this.  Use antifungal cream if the skin gets thick and dark from staying moist, but apply it to freshly cleansed and dry skin.  Pat to dry rather than rough wiping of the irritated skin.  Try Sitz baths.  Avoid sitting for long if possible.  
I was diagnosed with microscopic colitis in December. I have the Lymphocytic form.

My G.I. Doc prescribed 3, 3 mg. capsules of Budesonide (generic Entocort) daily, for 6 weeks.

I didn't experience any relief from the constant diarrhea.

After 6 weeks, he reduced the Budesonide to 2, 3 mg. capsules, a day, and added 3, 1.2 gm. Lialda tablets a day.

I am just beginning to have semi-formed stools.

I've eliminated coffee, all dairy, because with microscopic colitis, we can't handle the casein in dairy products. Oh, and all refined sugar. (:

Mayo Clinic recommends a low fat/low fiber diet.

My G.I. Doc said my colitis is chronic, and therefore, it will take a very long time to put it into remission.

I also have hemmorhoids. They were irritated and bleeding from the diarrhea, but once I began to have semi-formed stools, they calmed down.

Please talk to your doctor about medications that treat microscopic colitis.

And request a prescription hemmorhoid cream.

Sheila