Colitis Expert Forum
Colitis

This forum is for questions and support regarding Colitis issues such as: Causes, Constipation, Diagnosis, Diarrhea, Drugs and OTC Medications, Fever, Living with Colitis, Loss of Appetite, Preventing Flare-ups, Research, Symptoms, Support, Surgery, Tests, Treatments, Types of Colitis

Colitis

I am a 28 yr old female.  I started to have diarreha when I was 16, however through the past 12 years my symptoms have worsen.  Last year I was sick to the point that I lost 35 lbs from vomitting and diarrhea.  I saw a Dr. and was put on medication, which helped somewhat with the diarrhea but not the severe abdominal pains.  It seems like its getting worse, but I dont have blood in my stool.  After about the 3rd time it turns to water.  It's different all the time.  Sometimes its even black in color.  I have lab tests coming up here soon from my Dr. and will be getting treatment now that I have health insurance.  I just wanted to ask you if you think it could be colitis or chrones, and if colitis what type does it sound like.  I know you cant diagnose anyone, but thank you for any information you can give me.

Denise
Tags: Colitis
It is difficult to say whether it is ulcerative colitis or Crohn's disease based on the symptoms.Tests like colonoscopy, enteroscopy/capsule endoscopy may have to be done for diagnosis and confirmation done with biopsy.
The symptoms of CD depends on the part of the GIT involved.But abdominal pain is more common in CD than UC.Rectal bleeding is more common in UC.
Since you have more of abdominal pain   CD is more likely.But confirmation can be done only with the tests mentioned above.
I am 17 years old and i was diagnosed with ulcerative colitis after having a colonoscopy and i have frequent pain and lately i have been passing puss and the last few hours it has been just gas and puss. What does this mean and should i contact my GI doctor?
HI,

I have left-sided colitis and have had similar problems. Some things i have experienced with the illness include: rectal bleeding, the urge to defaecate, Mucus in stool, thin stool, excessive gas. With medication i have been able to control the symptoms and live relatively normally. Usually, the symptoms of colitis will resolve with treatment, but sometimes finding the appropriate medication takes time and experimentation under the guidance of your GI doctor. Once you find the appropriate treatment your symptoms should subside, and you should be able to get back to your regular life.

Follow up with your GI doctor is crucial if symptoms persist despite treatment, as he/she will be able to discuss changing your medication to better resolve your symptoms. Until then, foods like bananas, broth soups and toast might be helpful in reducing the intensity of your symptoms.