Colitis Expert Forum
Colitis? Crohn's? Lupus?
About This Forum:

This forum is for questions and support regarding Colitis issues such as: Causes, Constipation, Diagnosis, Diarrhea, Drugs and OTC Medications, Fever, Living with Colitis, Loss of Appetite, Preventing Flare-ups, Research, Symptoms, Support, Surgery, Tests, Treatments, Types of Colitis

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Colitis? Crohn's? Lupus?

Hi I am a 29 year old female who was diagnosed with Celiac Sprue 3 years ago via small bowel biopsy.  I have been on a strict gluten free diet ever since.  Since being on the diet I saw improvement in how I felt but I still have issues that persist.  I had an upper endoscopy completed last year and the results were normal (so no signs of Celiac remained  ).  However, I still have diarrhea, stomach pains, and bleeding on and off again that does not appear to be related to food or stress.  Last year I was diagnosed and treated for a kidney stone that was removed using the lithotripsy method.  I also have PCOS.  In the past year I noticed a significant increase in bleeding with bowel movements as well as fevers (usually no higher than 100 degrees), vertigo, night sweats and joint pain (toes, hands, knees, shoulders, spine, hips) that comes and goes a couple times a month.  I was put in for a colonoscopy that came back with non specific chronic inflammation.  Blood work showed a slightly elevated ASCA but not really high and a positive ANA Homogenous pattern 1:320 titre ( but double strand DNA and smith antibody both negative).  I had a small bowel series completed that had normal results and an additional colonoscopy done that came back with mild inflammation.  I am scheduled for a pillcam test next week.  My concern is that they thought I had mild colitis and then the possibility of Crohn’s given the results of the ASCA test.  I have a feeling I will wind up with an unspecific colitis but could such colitis cause all the non colon related symptoms I have been having?  Would it be possible for something like SLE to cause these issues with the colon?  Or is it possible to have both?  It has been a long road and I feel I am no where near closure.  All these issues are impacting my life, work etc and I just want to feel better.  Thank you for your thoughts on this matter.