Colitis Expert Forum
Colitis Crohns or proctitis

This forum is for questions and support regarding Colitis issues such as: Causes, Constipation, Diagnosis, Diarrhea, Drugs and OTC Medications, Fever, Living with Colitis, Loss of Appetite, Preventing Flare-ups, Research, Symptoms, Support, Surgery, Tests, Treatments, Types of Colitis

Colitis Crohns or proctitis

I went to see a colorectal consultant last week after having a few weeks of mild abdominal cramps in the morning (felt like mild period pain) and having a softer stool bowel movement first thing each morning, and sometimes another in the evening. This is out of character for me as i usually have one bowel movement every other day. Anyway, this went on for a couple of weeks and then for the last 8 days i have noticed some mucus and blood in my stools too which really worried me.

Let me also tell you that the same thing happened to me in July 09 and July 10 - but the blood and mucus was only present for a few days and i fully receovered and went back to normal after both of these episodes.

The colorectal surgeon looked at my rectum and told me i have proctitis and gave me some hydrocortisone cream. He told me it is only affecting the first 2 inches of the rectum and past that he can see that it is clear.

I am going in on thursday to have a colonoscopy to test for UC and Crohns. Do you think I will have either of these, bearing in mind that even when this has happened in the past i have recovered for a year with no symptoms at all and with no medication. Also I dont feel ill, dont have diarreha (just softer stool that are still formed) and have never had sickness.
Please let me know what you think, so i know what to expect! I am petrified of having either of these conditions!
Thanks!
You have signs of recurrent proctocolitis and the consultant has confirmed proctitis after examination.
One of the causes for these symptom is IBD ( CD & UC).
It can be confirmed with colonoscopy.
I have been struggling with UC for over 10 years. My condition is considered mild and like you, I have procitics which affects my lower left rectum. When I flare, its a lot more severe then what you describe. I get horrible diarrhea and lots of blood in the toilet. I looks like I am heavily menstruating. I have to use the toilet at least 3 times an hour. When I am not flaring, I sound like what you described as your signs. I actually get horrible constipation and see traces of blood in my bowel. The emergency room typically tells me its anal fissures. (Emergency room cause of pain, feels like passing glass)  If you do have UC, its very mild, and it does not sound like Crohns to me.You might just have a sensitive digestive system. I am interested to here your results, I hope you post the conclusion.