Colitis Expert Forum
Colitis in remission

This forum is for questions and support regarding Colitis issues such as: Causes, Constipation, Diagnosis, Diarrhea, Drugs and OTC Medications, Fever, Living with Colitis, Loss of Appetite, Preventing Flare-ups, Research, Symptoms, Support, Surgery, Tests, Treatments, Types of Colitis

Colitis in remission

Can a colonoscopy detect Colitis while in remisson?
  For the last 12 years I've been having severe abdominal pains from time to time. I use to pass out from the pain but have gotten use to it. With the pain I have an urgent feeling to have a bowel movement-but have only a small amount of diareah. About a year ago I started having blooding diareah with the pain. It always last five days, with no blood the 1st day,and then I pass mainly just blood from day 2 to 5. I finally went to the hospital 2 weeks ago, I was told it was most likely colitis & was referred to a gastroentologist. I checked the symptoms for colitis on line which is exactly what I've been experiencing. I had my colonoscopy yesterday and was told its not crones or colitis but IBS. I was still too sadated to ask the Dr.questions,but ive never heard of anyone with IBS having bloody diherea.  Since I wasnt having a flare up at the time of the exam would there have been any signs of inflamation (inflammation) & how would he be able to tell?  
Tags: question
When colitis is not active and is in remission, colonoscopy may not show anything significant.
Your symptoms are not suggestive of IBS.
Was biopsy done?