Colitis Expert Forum
Colonoscopy and Endoscopy

This forum is for questions and support regarding Colitis issues such as: Causes, Constipation, Diagnosis, Diarrhea, Drugs and OTC Medications, Fever, Living with Colitis, Loss of Appetite, Preventing Flare-ups, Research, Symptoms, Support, Surgery, Tests, Treatments, Types of Colitis

Colonoscopy and Endoscopy

Hi my name is Allana . My question is I have to get a Colonoscopy,and Endoscopy at the same day. I heard they give you medication to help  you relax,and something for the pain. What kind of meds do they put in IV? I also heard that I could be put asleep, all I have to do is tell my Dr before he starts. I am been in pain for so long ,and don't want anymore to add to it. Please can you help me. So my mind can be a rest. Thanks Allana
Mostly they are done under conscious sedation. With this the discomfort of the procedure is minimized.
The medications used are midazolam and fentanyl.
Hi Allana, I am a nurse and also suffer from GI issues.  I can tell you they usually use medications named Versed (which is an amnesic and makes you sleepy and not remember the procedure) and Fentanyl (an IV pain medication).  These two drugs together produce the sedation for the procedure and you will be comfortable.  Most people don't remember the procedure at all.  I have had both the upper endoscopy and then yesterday had my first colonoscopy and the prep you have to drink for the colonoscopy is way worse than the procedure itself :) Good luck, I hope this is helpful!