Colitis Expert Forum
Diarrhea following Clindamycin

This forum is for questions and support regarding Colitis issues such as: Causes, Constipation, Diagnosis, Diarrhea, Drugs and OTC Medications, Fever, Living with Colitis, Loss of Appetite, Preventing Flare-ups, Research, Symptoms, Support, Surgery, Tests, Treatments, Types of Colitis

Diarrhea following Clindamycin

I'm writing on behalf of my significant other, a 59 year old male who on Clindamycin for two weeks  for an upper respiratory infection.  During the last three days he was taking it he started to get severe diarrhea and he has had it ever since.  He has now had the diarrhea for three weeks. (he finished the Clindamycin regimen about 18 days ago.)  He describes the diarrhea as sometimes completely liquid, sometimes not liquid but very soft. The bouts come on very suddenly, once ever two hours, sometimes more often, and he describes it as "projectile diarrhea".  It's severe enough that he sometimes can't make to the bathroom.  He does not have a fever and generally feels OK except for the GI upset.  The color can be brown, very dark brown, or greenish. He does not have any stomach upset.

The soonest appointment he could get with the gastroenterologist is 4 days from now.  Last week he was getting very worried about his symptoms so I suggested he go to an Urgent Care Clinic.  The doctor did not order any lab tests, didn't do much of an exam (just felt his abdomen) and based on his symptoms and the Clindamycin usage thought it was probably Clostridium difficile and ordered a prescription for Flagyl.

WE're not sure he should be on Flagyl  without  further testing so he decided not to take it until he saw gastroenterologist.  But I'm out of my league here and and for all I know Flagyl is commonly proscribed for diarrhea induced by antibiotics whether it's Clostridium or not. And of course, we don't know if the diarrhea is was caused by the Clindamycin at all. His mother has been very ill recently and he's pretty stressed out.

Do you think it would be prudent to go ahead and take the Flagyl prescription or should he wait until he sees the gastroenterologist?
Since diarrhea occured after taking clindamycin, c-diff is highly likely. So what your doctor suggested is very appropriate.