Colitis Expert Forum
Does cdiff ever go away?
About This Forum:

This forum is for questions and support regarding Colitis issues such as: Causes, Constipation, Diagnosis, Diarrhea, Drugs and OTC Medications, Fever, Living with Colitis, Loss of Appetite, Preventing Flare-ups, Research, Symptoms, Support, Surgery, Tests, Treatments, Types of Colitis

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Does cdiff ever go away?

does anyone know if cdiff ever goes away? will i battle it every time i am on an antibiotic? i have heard that it colonizes in the colon so even after a "remission" it will reactivate once the flora is disrupted via antibiotics? is there a list of good antibiotics or will they all potentially wreak havoc? any guidance would be great!!!!
Related Discussions
Hi,
Metronidazole and vancomycin are used to treat c-diff. But in about 20% of the patients, it may recur even after completing the treatment.
================================================================
The information provided is for patients’ education only and is not a medical advice. Always consult your personal physician for complete evaluation of your health problem.

- Ratnakar Kini M.D.
2 Comments
Blank
Thanks Dr Kini but do you, or anyone else, know if cdiff colonizes in the colon?
I know the relapse rate is 20%. i know metronidazone and vancomycin are used to treat cdiff. I am wondering if it will always be dormant and, then, reactivated with the use of antibiotics? this is a different question than a tradiona relapse after pulsing.   Do some people utilize antibiotics again with no further incidence? what percentage?
THX for your continued guidance.
Blank
Continue discussion Blank
This Forum's Experts
Ratnakar Kini
Gastroenterologist & Hepatologist
MedHelp Health Answers
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
RSS Expert Activity