Colitis Expert Forum
Help for Chronic diarrhea

This forum is for questions and support regarding Colitis issues such as: Causes, Constipation, Diagnosis, Diarrhea, Drugs and OTC Medications, Fever, Living with Colitis, Loss of Appetite, Preventing Flare-ups, Research, Symptoms, Support, Surgery, Tests, Treatments, Types of Colitis

Help for Chronic diarrhea

I have had chronic diarrhea since a bowel resection and radiation treatments after removal of lymphoma tumor from small bowel 20 years ago.  It has become worse the past 4 years.  Possibly related are low iron, B12, potassium counts, and blood in stool.  I have had every test ordered by two different specialists, and nothing specific was determined, other than inflamation (inflammation) of small bowel.  I have tried different drugs and am now taking lomotil, which helps slow down the diarrhea, but does not eliminate same, nor helps my low counts in above mentioned areas.  I have to have monthly B12 shots, am on iron supplements and increase my potassium intake with specific foods.  Not one doctor agrees with me that the radiation applied 20 years ago has anything to do with my symptoms, but cannot give me a diagnosis.  While I am not home-bound, I am limited to environments where a toilet is easily and quickly accessible, and still I have had accidents in public places.  At this point, I just want relief from the diarrhea, whatever the cause.  My question: if my diarrhea IS caused by past radiation treatments and what can I take/do to get rid of the diarrhea?
Which part of the bowel was resected?
Which part of your body was given radiation therapy?
How was inflammation of small diagnosed? Was biopsy done?If so the report?
Was colonoscopy done? if so the report?