Colitis Expert Forum
Infrequent GB like pain 4 years post chole.

This forum is for questions and support regarding Colitis issues such as: Causes, Constipation, Diagnosis, Diarrhea, Drugs and OTC Medications, Fever, Living with Colitis, Loss of Appetite, Preventing Flare-ups, Research, Symptoms, Support, Surgery, Tests, Treatments, Types of Colitis

Hi there,

I am a 42 yr old male, who had is gb removed laposcopically in late 2006.  About 3 months after the surgery, pain returned to this area.  I had an ERCP without brushing or SOD pressure test, but visually all was well said the GI. No stone turned up. Since those days I get flare-ups of same old gb like pain only not as severe, and tolerable, but annoying as heck.  They show up a few months apart and last at least 10 days.  I am currently dealing with a flare up that's lasted 14 days.  I am scheduling an apt with doc.  Old doc said that scar tissue and bowel motility can cause irritation.  Do any of your patients experience this?  Bentyl was prescribed and I am not sure if it really helps.  Gas plays a role that when it increases, the pain can as well and I pass it like crazy.    Could this all just be gas, motility and scar tissue or could I be facing more ERCP or surgery to correct the first one?  What do you recommend I ask my doc to look into first?  Are you aware of anything that provides relief?  Thanks!
Why was gallbladder removed?
Few patients  after removal of gallbladder suffer from similar symptoms which is called postcholecystectomy syndrome.
It could be due to stone in the common bile duct, acid reflux disease, dyspepsia or functional bowel disease.
Same here! It has been 5 years and I had my GB removed laparoscopically after a HEPA (SP?) Scan revealed a "non functional" GB (no stones) as I was in alot of pain which appeared after a 2 week Master Cleanse fast (be careful folks as apparently fasts can cause a spike in cholesterol and GB distress). I have chronic pain on my right side under the edge of the ribs all the way to my back. It is driving me insane. Finally I am going to get a CT scan. Will let you know the results. I live in Italy where I can use Buscopan (hyoscine butylbromide) which apparently is not available in the US. Too bad because it is in the rest of the world, and really helps without terrible side effects: I was even prescribed VIOXX in the States for these symptoms.