Colitis Expert Forum
Intestinal Damage

This forum is for questions and support regarding Colitis issues such as: Causes, Constipation, Diagnosis, Diarrhea, Drugs and OTC Medications, Fever, Living with Colitis, Loss of Appetite, Preventing Flare-ups, Research, Symptoms, Support, Surgery, Tests, Treatments, Types of Colitis

Intestinal Damage

Five weeks ago, I came down with what I think is a stomach virus (stoll samples all came back negative for parasites and bacteria).  I am 6 months pregnant, and had no trouble eating almost anything before this sudden disease occured, although I have had intermitant periods of diarrhea in the last year.  My symptoms this time were only diarrhea, and almost always at night.  No fever above 99.  The diarrhea itself was yellow, flaky, and full of mucus and undigested food for two weeks (no blood at all).  I did become dehydrated, and was given an IV at my doctors office.  After that, I felt somewhat better.  I then went into a pattern of two days of constipation and then a very painful, sometimes normal, sometimes diarrhea at night again for one night. It is no longer yellow (brown now), however, it it sometimes flaky after starting out normal and has some trace of mucus. I have been on the BRAT diet for this entire month, consume only water or electrolyte solution for drinks, and any introduction of a few bites of pureed vegetables or plain cooked chicken have given me severe gas pains and the painful movements.
My nurse beleives that my intestinal villi have been damaged by a virus or that I have colitis or other IBS and that is why any foods other than very mild ones cause the trouble.  My question is, Once the intestinal villi are damaged, how long does it normally take for them to heal?  Does it appear that I did indeed have a virus that caused all this?  Because I am pregnant, I cannot have a colonoscopy to diagnose IBS or another disorder, although I plan on it once the baby is born.  In the mean time, I need to know what to do to get adequate nutrition and would feel better mentally if I had a timeline for healing.
Hi sasha1998,
You might be suffering from IBS though infectious enteritis/ colitis should also be ruled out.
Discuss with your doctor regarding the tests that need to be done which includes, blood and motion examination.

The normal intestinal villi changes every 3-5 days. But if there is any infection or other factors destroying the villi, the regeneration is affected until, the causative factor is eliminated.

Consume lot of fluids to prevent dehydration.

You need to gain weight adequately during pregancy. Consult your doctor who will assess your weight gain and calculate the calries required. You also need vitamins inlcuding folic acid, and minerals including iron for both your and your baby's well being.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The information provided is for patients’ education only and is not a medical advice. Always consult your personal physician for complete evaluation of your health problem.

- Ratnakar Kini M.D.

Hi Sasha, google symptoms for C Diff too, ask your doc to run that test as well if you think they match.  Best of luck with new baby :)