Colitis Expert Forum
Low dose aspirin w/ no U.C. symptoms since 1980

This forum is for questions and support regarding Colitis issues such as: Causes, Constipation, Diagnosis, Diarrhea, Drugs and OTC Medications, Fever, Living with Colitis, Loss of Appetite, Preventing Flare-ups, Research, Symptoms, Support, Surgery, Tests, Treatments, Types of Colitis

I have managed to beat U.C. twice without surgery or meds. Once in the summer before beginning middle school after having U.C. for 6 years. The second time in 1980 after a recurrence in 1979. I made a temporary radical change in diet suggested by a family friend who avoided surgery for U.C. after adopting the same diet. I stayed on the diet for 6 months with no U.C. symptoms. I eat whatever I want now.

Now I know U.C. can escalate the chances for colon cancer and today I read low-dose aspirin can lower chances of contracting several forms of cancer. It's been 30 years since I had any U.C. symptoms; is it safe to begin a low-dose aspirin regimen?
I would suggest that you undergo colonoscopy first for assessing the current status of your colon and based on the finding decide on the further course of action.
1 Comment
I find this post absolutely fascinating.  I was diagnosed with U.C./Chrone's at age 9.  I had a 10 year "flare".  At age 21 I went into full remission, and now 14 years later I have relapsed.  I have been reading that freeze dried black raspberries helps with the inflammation in the colon.  My colon at this point is so swollen, it is entering my pelvic cavity(hysterectomy 3 yrs ago).  I need to try something, because I have no insurance, two children I'd like to see grow up, and am at a loss.  As far as the aspirin, I would not start a regime without talking to your doctor.  Aspirin thins the blood significantly, even at the low dose, I would be very careful about doing that on your own, however it is your choice.  It would be interesting to see/know that that really worked.  What is your thoughts on the black raspberries?