Colitis Expert Forum
Microscopic colitis
About This Forum:

This forum is for questions and support regarding Colitis issues such as: Causes, Constipation, Diagnosis, Diarrhea, Drugs and OTC Medications, Fever, Living with Colitis, Loss of Appetite, Preventing Flare-ups, Research, Symptoms, Support, Surgery, Tests, Treatments, Types of Colitis

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Microscopic colitis

I have had fat malabsorption for over two years now. I have lost 30 lbs and can't gain anything back.They have ruled out celiac, crohn's, cf, pancreas.My GI doctor now wants to test for Microscopic Colitis. I do sometimes have watery bm's but most of the time they are just loose. Ballpark 2 to 3 times a day if I watch what I eat, several more if I eat whatever. Does This sound like Microscopic Colitis? What other conditions cause Fat malabsorption that have not already been mentioned. I do have a white cell count that is a little low as well as blood platelets that are a little low.Vitamin and mineral def. Sometimes night sweats. I have Hyperparatyhroidism as well as familial Hypercalcemia but the levels for both have been fine over the past 2 yrs.
Related Discussions
Hi Jimmy583,
Most of the cases of microscopic colitis are associated with intake of NSAID medications ( are you taking any NSAID) - but not in all cases.
Microscopic colitis can cause weight loss. Diarrhea usually stops with fasting.
A biopsy  alone from the colon can confirm the diagnosis.

But since you have problems like vitamin and mineral deficiency as well, small intestinal problem is more probable than microscopic colitis.

The list of causes of fat malabsorption is very long and all cannot be mentioned here
================================================================
The information provided is for patients’ education only and is not a medical advice. Always consult your personal physician for complete evaluation of your health problem.

- Ratnakar Kini M.D.
Blank
Continue discussion Blank
MedHelp Health Answers
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
RSS Expert Activity
242532_tn?1269553979
Blank
How to Silence Your Inner Critic an...