Colitis Expert Forum
Mucus after bowel movement

This forum is for questions and support regarding Colitis issues such as: Causes, Constipation, Diagnosis, Diarrhea, Drugs and OTC Medications, Fever, Living with Colitis, Loss of Appetite, Preventing Flare-ups, Research, Symptoms, Support, Surgery, Tests, Treatments, Types of Colitis

Mucus after bowel movement

I've had an ongoing issue with mucus only after a bowel movement, and not on the stool, just in the anal area. Sometimes it's much more than other days, somedays there is none. I'm generally a once-a-day bowel mover, but have taken in much more fiber recently and now am up to 2-3 times per day. I've been using wipes to clean up in the area, which becomes sore after excessive wiping. When I know I've clean the area out, I'm okay for the remainder of the day. Other days, it feels like it's still wet up in the area from washing in shower or the wet wipes. Any suggestions.
Infection, Inflammation (colitis) and IBS can cause increased mucus discharge.
A digital rectal examination/proctoscopy and perineal examination should be done to look for fistula in ano.