Colitis Community
No urge to move bowels - colitis diagnosis after sigmoidoscopy
About This Community:

Colitis is swelling (inflammation) of the large intestine, which is also known as the colon. This community is a place to find others who share your interest in colitis. The purpose of the community is to share support and information with colitis patients and their loved ones. Topics in the community include: causes, clinical trials, complications, family issues, living with colitis, prognosis, research, surgery, treatments

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

No urge to move bowels - colitis diagnosis after sigmoidoscopy

I just posted this to the ask a doctor forum as well but wondered if any of you with colitis have ever NOT had even so much as an urge to move your bowels. I have only been diagnosed with colitis after a sigmoidoscopy yesterday. This was due to bleeding from rectum after food poisoning episode (GI doc thinks it was caused by bleeding from internal hemorrhoids because of the severe diahrrea). I was terrified! I've never in my entire life had bleeding like this occur. I didn't eat anything solid for two days; then gradually have added soft foods only with lots of liquids. I've had 2-3 days of bowel movements of the soft food but that gradually subsided to very little stool, then nothing ever since even though I have been gradually eating more - still soft, though. I have not had a BM in 3 days. However, yesterday I had a sigmoidoscopy with an enema prep day before. I have never used an enema prep like this before. Still no stool; only mucus and liquid erupted. After sigmoidoscopy GI doc said "no immediate signs of cancer" but has taken a biopsy. He did, however show me films of mild acute colitis - WOW - this is unreal and red! Reason he didn't do a colonoscopy is because I just had one TWO years ago and all was clear (except for mild gastritis diagnosis). Prior to the food poisoning episode 11 days ago I was actually feeling great! Even my gastritis had subsided and aside from some random bowel changes - normal then constipation (I contribute this to not drinking much water at all- something I've been real bad about for years). However, now I 'get it' about colitis - it is painful and I feel this weird burning. It comes and goes but now I have NO URGE whatsoever to move my bowels! I'm scared about this - never had this feeling before. I'm still eating small amounts of soft foods; admittedly far less fiber than I'm used to eating though. I know it's only been three full days since a BM but what should I do? I am afraid if I keep eating the 'backup?" will get worse. Should I stay on liquids only until I know what's wrong? Has anyone had anything like this before? I'm almost thinking the colitis was caused from the enema! I've read where this is possible. Only because I did not have any burning sensation or cramps at all prior to that procedure. Any thoughts?
Post a Comment
To
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Colitis Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
233488_tn?1310696703
Blank
New Cannabis Article from NORTH Mag...
Jul 20 by John C Hagan III, MD, FACS, FAAOBlank