Colitis Expert Forum
Rectocele and Intussusception

This forum is for questions and support regarding Colitis issues such as: Causes, Constipation, Diagnosis, Diarrhea, Drugs and OTC Medications, Fever, Living with Colitis, Loss of Appetite, Preventing Flare-ups, Research, Symptoms, Support, Surgery, Tests, Treatments, Types of Colitis

Rectocele and Intussusception

For lack of knowing where else to post this question, I am posting it here.  I am 48-years old, diagnosed with gastroparesis back in May, hypothyroidism in June, and rectocele/rectal intussusception this past week (in October).  I am status-post three c/sections, abdominal hysterectomy (still have my ovaries), and a ventral wall hernia repair while they were doing the hysterectomy due to compromised fascia that would not hold my organs in.  In addition, I had liposuction following the hysterectomy, due to displacement of the fat (left with a large contour abnormality on my left side).  

Now I am diagnosed with the rectocele/intussusception.  I have been advised by my colorectal surgeon not to do anything about it due to the complexity of the surgery with all of my previous surgeries.  I am suffering with a lot of pain and don't know if I can go on living with this.  Any advice?
How was intussusception diagnosed?
Can I have the report?
Hi Dr. Kini!

I was diagnosed by defecogram.  Unfortunately, I don't have a copy of the report (wish I did, as I like having copies of my own medical records).  But, I talked to my surgeon today.  Basically his advice is NOT to undergo surgery for this as I am too high of a risk, and I'm not terribly symptomatic right now (just the typical constipation which I am now using Miralax to treat, some cramping and definite emptying issues).  He states that the risks don't outweigh the benefit.  

I have had multiple abdominal surgeries - and he feels that I will be an extremely difficult case.  I'm still going to seek another opinion, but would be very interested in hearing your opinion about this.  If I can get a copy of my report, I will and will send you the results.

Thanks!
Mary Ellen