Colitis Expert Forum
Salmonella and MRSA and antibiotics!
About This Forum:

This forum is for questions and support regarding Colitis issues such as: Causes, Constipation, Diagnosis, Diarrhea, Drugs and OTC Medications, Fever, Living with Colitis, Loss of Appetite, Preventing Flare-ups, Research, Symptoms, Support, Surgery, Tests, Treatments, Types of Colitis

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Salmonella and MRSA and antibiotics!

Hi

My daughter of 13 weeks (adopted from Ethiopia) has been diagnosed with ESBL resistant salmonella concord (hope I have said it right).  Also with MRSA positive swabs in her nose and throat.  I am using cream for her nose.  Now I don't know if I am posting this in the right place but...... what I wanted to know is ...... both of these are resistant to antibiotics......are they both resistant to penecillins and if so is there any point in ever giving her penecillin antibiotics for any infection over the years or should we use a different family of antibiotics?   In other words ....could she be inherently/genetically (probably wrong words) resistant to penecillin?????

I was phoned by the hospital and told if she gets any digestive symptoms or high fever or indeed is unexplicably out of sorts then I should go straight to the hospital in case it goes into her blood stream....How likely would that be to happen?

Poor mite also has had giardia, chicken pox, hepatitis A, chest infection for at least 5 weeks but now gone thank god.  Also thrush both ends.  Clear for HIV and Hep C.  Her immune system is on the floor but thankfully she seems to be over the salmonella.  Actually she seems to be thriving now since the salmonella symptoms have stopped.  

Does any of that even make sense????  Also would a probiotic help or not at this stage??   Ohhh!  And I am washing my hands like crazy as she is now a carrier and I know I am exposed via nappies/diapers!

Many thanks
P