Colitis Expert Forum
Sharp sudden pain in lower abdomen/ red blood in stool

This forum is for questions and support regarding Colitis issues such as: Causes, Constipation, Diagnosis, Diarrhea, Drugs and OTC Medications, Fever, Living with Colitis, Loss of Appetite, Preventing Flare-ups, Research, Symptoms, Support, Surgery, Tests, Treatments, Types of Colitis

I have had had issues with defication since I was about 15 or so, I am currently 31. I see blood on the toilet paper regularly and occassionally bleed enough into the water to turn it bright red. When I was 16 or so I went to a doctor who diagnosed hemmoids. I underwent treatment to no avail and decied that I would just live with it. On occassion when I am not using the bathroom I get extremely sharp pains inside my lower abdomen and passing stool is regularly painful but not unbearable. Recently I have been deficating 4 or 5 times a day and it is loose 90% of the time. I have passes throught times like this in the past and there are times when everything seems to be working normally. I want to know if these symptoms point to anything serious or if I can continue to not seek treatment. Thanks in advance.
Abdominal apin with loose stools could indicate colitis.
Infection is the commonest cause.
Stool test may be done to look for infection.
If it is chronic UC could be a possibility. Sigmoidoscopy may be done for evaluation.