Colitis Expert Forum
Spasm in the lower, large intestine

This forum is for questions and support regarding Colitis issues such as: Causes, Constipation, Diagnosis, Diarrhea, Drugs and OTC Medications, Fever, Living with Colitis, Loss of Appetite, Preventing Flare-ups, Research, Symptoms, Support, Surgery, Tests, Treatments, Types of Colitis

Spasm in the lower, large intestine
On rare occasion I will have a painful spasm in my lower large intestine.  It is painful enough that I break out in a sweat and am a bit light headed and nauseated from the intensity.  It passes and everything is fine, so I have just ignored it (well, at least after it's over).  There's no pattern to when this occurs.  I'm not all that concerned, but just wondering if there might be a trigger?  
If bowel movements cause relief of this pain, it could be due to irritable bowel syndrome.
If it occurs during sleep also, have bloody diarrhea, weight loss, then IBS is ruled out and you need to be evaluated by a gastroenterologist.