Colitis Expert Forum
UC 10yrs old

This forum is for questions and support regarding Colitis issues such as: Causes, Constipation, Diagnosis, Diarrhea, Drugs and OTC Medications, Fever, Living with Colitis, Loss of Appetite, Preventing Flare-ups, Research, Symptoms, Support, Surgery, Tests, Treatments, Types of Colitis

UC 10yrs old

Dear Doctor;
My 10 yrs daughter is diagnosed with pancolitis and all regular medication is followed and now she is under a cause of remicade (infliximab)  and seems situation improved with high hope as we have seen how she has suffered for last one month.
My question is ;
1. Will it go away forever and is it the most effective drug available ?
2. What is the best method/way of life we should follow to avoid any come-back ?
3. how to minimize side effects of this drug, including steriods?

Appreciate your reply.

Mahinda
Tags: UC, daughter
Pancolitis will not go away forever with just medications. But surgery will cure it when the colon is removed. But surgery is indicated only when medical management does not control the disease.
Infections and NSAIDs are risk factors for flareup.
Steroids are usually give for a shorter course. so side effects due to it is less likely. The other side effects depends on the type of medications taken.