Colitis Expert Forum
Will it ever stop?

This forum is for questions and support regarding Colitis issues such as: Causes, Constipation, Diagnosis, Diarrhea, Drugs and OTC Medications, Fever, Living with Colitis, Loss of Appetite, Preventing Flare-ups, Research, Symptoms, Support, Surgery, Tests, Treatments, Types of Colitis

Will it ever stop?

I've had chronic diarrhea for 2 weeks now.  I've never had digestive trouble for more than a day or two, so this has been very bothersome.  

On Dec 14th I arrived in Punta Cana, Dominican Republic for my honeymoon.  For two days I was absolutely perfect.  The 3rd morning I woke up with horrible stomach pain, midline just below the sternum.  As the day wore on, the pain became more infrequent- curling up into a ball and laying on my right side was palliative- but I started to feel malaise and high fever.  Muscle cramps soon followed and I was unable to eat and barely able to walk.  The next day the aches were gone and so was the fever, but I started getting diarrhea.  I went many times that day, and the next.  Eventually it subsided and in a week I was thankful for some constipation as I arrived at home for a few days.  

That was short-lived, however, and now I once again have diarrhea but instead of stool, mostly what comes out is a white substance- which I assume to be mucus.  I've been attempting to treat it on my own with lots of vitamins and yogurt(plain without sugar) to restore my normal flora.  I was thinking it was/is a Campylobacter or Salmonella infection but wouldn't that have cleared up?  I'm hesitant to go to the doctor due to many antibiotic allergies but will this clear up on it's own?  HELP!!!
Did you take any medication?