Colitis Community
colitis

Colitis is swelling (inflammation) of the large intestine, which is also known as the colon. This community is a place to find others who share your interest in colitis. The purpose of the community is to share support and information with colitis patients and their loved ones. Topics in the community include: causes, clinical trials, complications, family issues, living with colitis, prognosis, research, surgery, treatments

colitis

hi i was just wondering if my colitis was to keep flaring up from time to time in later years im i at more risk to get bowel cancer and is colitis suffers in general at a higher risk? thanks
Yes your colitis will flare up from time to time the same as with crohn's. And According to the materials I have read you will also be at an increased chance of getting different side affects/diseases including cancer....but you are also at a higher risk of getting a lot of things now depending upon your medications or if you take any.

Read all of the possible side affects/ possible things that could happen later on...but I wouldn't stress it too much... there were a lot of possibilities on all of the drugs they have put me on and if I spend my time worrying about the what ifs and maybes then I would just bring on another flare up due to stress.

Manage your diet, your health and be good to yourself...and let the rest just happen as it will...It's gonna happen if it's gonna happen.

There's tons of info available by googling for colitis. All the best. :)
Do keep on top of your disease, keep regular appointments with your doctor, and get in touch with him when new flare or if you get worse.  It is much easier to manage a flare up if it is dealt with as early as possible.  Keep a food journal so you learn what foods affect you.  I had UC for 10 years and then 15 years ago I had surgery to create a J-Pouch (no choice in the matter) and have done very well.  My son now has UC and I am so impressed at how improved the drug options are now from when I was sick.  Take care and good luck.