Colitis Community
colon inflammation

Colitis is swelling (inflammation) of the large intestine, which is also known as the colon. This community is a place to find others who share your interest in colitis. The purpose of the community is to share support and information with colitis patients and their loved ones. Topics in the community include: causes, clinical trials, complications, family issues, living with colitis, prognosis, research, surgery, treatments

colon inflammation

I'm a 67 year old woman and have been having problems for years.  I have occasional episodes of diverticulitis, and until now, a diagnosis of IBS. But I have been having right-sided pain (to right of navel) when I inhale for about six months, not to mention aphthous throat ulcers and anal fissures and inflammation/conjunctivitis in both eyes. I had a colonoscopy last week, and the gastroenterologist who performed it told me right after that I had diverticular disease in my left colon and inflammation in my right colon.  The colonoscopy report she submitted said, "Normal terminal ileum, abnormal mucosa in right colon, normal mucosa left colon." She took biopsies and the biopsy report appeared to be normal (*No active or chronic ileitis." In right and left colon biopsies, "no active chronic or microscopic colitis." My question:  I'm assuming that the inflammation she reported with my colonoscopy  in my right colon is the same pain I'm feeling.  But how could the biopsy of my right colon be normal if she saw inflammation (and I feel pain) there?  What should be the follow-up, if any?
Erythema (redness) itself on colonoscopy is nonspecific.  Nonspecific inflammation can be seen with infection, inflammation, NSAID use, or ischemia, but it can also be due to mechanical abrasion from the colonoscope, the chemical used to prep your colon, or even staining from having eaten red-colored foods before your test. The diverticulitis suggests constipation.