Colitis Expert Forum
excess gas in the stomach
About This Forum:

This forum is for questions and support regarding Colitis issues such as: Causes, Constipation, Diagnosis, Diarrhea, Drugs and OTC Medications, Fever, Living with Colitis, Loss of Appetite, Preventing Flare-ups, Research, Symptoms, Support, Surgery, Tests, Treatments, Types of Colitis

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

excess gas in the stomach

I have been having treatment for colitis for the past 2 years and taking 6 x 400mg asacol tablets per day. This has now been reduced to 3 a day. the colitis is in remission but I experience excessive gas/wind in the stomach especilly after eating. It is also worse the next day when taking alcohol. Is there soemthing I can do/take to reduce the gas? I do not suffer blaoting, stools are normal it is like the stomach goes into spasm mode as soon as i eat.

neil
Related Discussions
Hi hillcarr,
Your symptoms are suggestive of irritable bowel syndrome.
Many patients with ulcerative colitis suffer from concurrent irritable bowel syndrome symptoms which will respond to antispasmodic drugs, anti-diarrheals, fiber supplementation or low dose anti-depressants.

You need to consult your doctor for further management.
================================================================
The information provided is for patients’ education only and is not a medical advice. Always consult your personal physician for complete evaluation of your health problem.

- Ratnakar Kini M.D.

Blank
Continue discussion Blank
This Forum's Experts
Ratnakar Kini
Gastroenterologist & Hepatologist
MedHelp Health Answers
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
RSS Expert Activity