Colitis Expert Forum
fistula and anal abcess(abscess)

This forum is for questions and support regarding Colitis issues such as: Causes, Constipation, Diagnosis, Diarrhea, Drugs and OTC Medications, Fever, Living with Colitis, Loss of Appetite, Preventing Flare-ups, Research, Symptoms, Support, Surgery, Tests, Treatments, Types of Colitis

fistula and anal abcess(abscess)

I HAD FALLEN ON MY BOTTOM IN A FREAK ACCIDENT IN 1996. AFTER 1 MONTH THERE WAS SEVERE CONSTIPATION AND LOW BACK PAIN. THE SAME WAS DIAGNOSED AS ANAL ABCESS (abscess) ON THE RIGHT SIDE AND SURGERY WAS DONE. POST SURGERY, WITHIN ONE MONTH, THERE WAS SEVERE BLEEDING AND PAIN. SURGEON CONFIRMED AS FISTULA AND SURGERY WAS DONE THREE MONTHS AFTER THE SUGERY FOR ABCESS (abscess) TREATMENT WAS DONE. THE FISTULA HEALED FOR THE TIME BEING. HOWEVER, AFTER THREE YEARS IN 1999, THERE WAS AGAIN PAIN AND IT WAS AGAIN DIAGNOSED AS FISTULA AND SURGERY WAS DONE ONCE AGAIN. BUT IT NEVER HEALED COMPLETELY. THERE IS ALWAYS SLIGHT OOZING AND BLEEDING. I HAVE TO USE GAUZE AND BANDAGE, I HAVE CONSULTED SURGEON WHO HAS ADVISED ME AGAINST FURTHER SURGERY STATING THAT IT MAY LEAD TO STOOL INCONTINENCE.

HOWEVER, VERY RECENTLY IN 2010, I HAVE BEEN DIAGNOSED WITH ANAL ABCESS (abscess) ON THE LEFT SIDE. THE PAIN AND SWELLING HAS SUBSIDED AFTER USE OF ANTIBIOTICS AND AT PRESENT I USE SUCRAL-ANO CREAM AFTER DEFACATING.

I AM 40 YEARS OLD MALE, NON DIABETIC,
EMPLOYED IN A GOVERNMENT SERVICE AND HAVING TWO KIDS WITH ENORMOUS FAMILY BURDEN AND RESPONSIBILITIES.

KINDLY SUGGEST, WHAT MANAGEMENT / TREATMENT IS AVAILABLE FOR ME WITHOUT GOING UNDER THE SCALPEL.

WITH REGARDS
BOBBY007
I
What did the doctor tell you about the cause of recurrent perianal abscess and fistula?