Colitis Expert Forum
infectious colitis & post infectious phase

This forum is for questions and support regarding Colitis issues such as: Causes, Constipation, Diagnosis, Diarrhea, Drugs and OTC Medications, Fever, Living with Colitis, Loss of Appetite, Preventing Flare-ups, Research, Symptoms, Support, Surgery, Tests, Treatments, Types of Colitis

My daughter had e.coli when she was 14.  It was pretty serious and she was hospitalized for 2 weeks and had a lot of rectal bleeding.  A year or so later she developed ongoing stomach pains, underwent a host of tests but nothing could be found and IBS was diagnosed.  She is now 21 and in November, having lived on and off with virtually constant low to medium level pain, she noticed a very 'different' pain.  She was hospitalized again and a colonoscopy revealed ulcer like lesions in her colon.

This was devastating as the medics originally diagnosed Crohn's disease.  My daughter is in the final 6 months at university and it put her under a lot of pressure with deadlines etc (in fact she'd been pretty stressed before this event took place).

After a course of steroids and another colonoscopy (clear) and results from biopsies, the medics now think it may not be crohn's after all.  They think it may have been infectious colitis.  The problem is, she still has low level pain but on occasion it becomes medium level in exactly the same place and she is worried it will come back to the excrutiating pain she had before.  While on the steroids she became very constipated which made the pain many times worse and she is afraid she will have that pain again, which no medication helped.

My question is, I saw somewhere that after an episode of bowel inflammation, that the area concerned becomes hypersensitive.  Does this mean the problem will be a chronic one, a bit like crohn's or ulcerative colitis?  Will it ever go away?  And should she be food allergy tested - which is the one thing the medics have never suggested?
Also she gets mouth ulcers sometimes, which led the original diagnosis of crohn's , but are these things very stress related as well?

Anyone with any knowledge to impart, I would be most grateful.  It's been a difficult time and my daughter is still suffering from the side effects of the steroids, even though she is off them now.
Was biopsy done during colonscopy?
If it was done , can I have the biopsy report?