Colitis Expert Forum
recurrent anal fissure
About This Forum:

This forum is for questions and support regarding Colitis issues such as: Causes, Constipation, Diagnosis, Diarrhea, Drugs and OTC Medications, Fever, Living with Colitis, Loss of Appetite, Preventing Flare-ups, Research, Symptoms, Support, Surgery, Tests, Treatments, Types of Colitis

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

recurrent anal fissure

I developed 3 anal fissures 4 years ago following a c-section - the cause of the fissures was constipation due to taking codeine painkillers.  I approached a consultant at Bupa and tried the first line treatment - ointment Glyceryl Trinitrate and Diltiazem.  These did not completely heal the fissures and I opted for the Botulum Injection and although this achived some healing the pain did not subside completely.  I then had the lateral sphincterotomy performed and this was successful.  

I have not had a problem since then however following a normal childbirth on the 25th february I appear to have reopened a wound and was prescribed glyceryl trinitrate by my GP on the 2nd March- I have been applying the ointment since 2nd march and felt the pain ease a little however I strained a little 2 days ago and had a hard bowel movement and feel like I have aggravated the fissure and now feel more pain and discomfort. I am continuing to take laxatives and maintain a high fibre diet.

I would like to know what treatments are available to me - should I continue applying the ointment and see if the fissures heal.  If not please advise what alternative treatments are available as I am very distressed.