Colitis Expert Forum
recurrent anal fissure

This forum is for questions and support regarding Colitis issues such as: Causes, Constipation, Diagnosis, Diarrhea, Drugs and OTC Medications, Fever, Living with Colitis, Loss of Appetite, Preventing Flare-ups, Research, Symptoms, Support, Surgery, Tests, Treatments, Types of Colitis

recurrent anal fissure

I developed 3 anal fissures 4 years ago following a c-section - the cause of the fissures was constipation due to taking codeine painkillers.  I approached a consultant at Bupa and tried the first line treatment - ointment Glyceryl Trinitrate and Diltiazem.  These did not completely heal the fissures and I opted for the Botulum Injection and although this achived some healing the pain did not subside completely.  I then had the lateral sphincterotomy performed and this was successful.  

I have not had a problem since then however following a normal childbirth on the 25th february I appear to have reopened a wound and was prescribed glyceryl trinitrate by my GP on the 2nd March- I have been applying the ointment since 2nd march and felt the pain ease a little however I strained a little 2 days ago and had a hard bowel movement and feel like I have aggravated the fissure and now feel more pain and discomfort. I am continuing to take laxatives and maintain a high fibre diet.

I would like to know what treatments are available to me - should I continue applying the ointment and see if the fissures heal.  If not please advise what alternative treatments are available as I am very distressed.
You are having hard stools in spite of taking fiber supplements.
Hard stools is the root cause of your problem.
So take plenty of fluids along with fiber supplements and also stool softeners.
This will take care of the risk factor of anal fissure.

For treating fissures -
1.Sitz bath
2. Continue applying  GTN ointment