Colon Cancer Community
Blood in semen and stool

This patient support community is for discussions relating to colon cancer.

Blood in semen and stool

I'm a 36 year old male. Five weeks ago (2/15/09), I experienced blood in my semen. I researched it on the internet and it seems it's usually due to an infection or any number or things. However, it's rarely serious. I monitored my urine and feces and didn't see any blood. I ejaculated three days later (2/18/09) and there wasn't any visible blood. Three days ago it happened again (3/22/09 -five weeks between blood in ejaculate). This morning (3/24/09) I noticed a small amount of bright red blood in my stool. I just checked my ejaculate and it's clear again. I have not had any blood in my urine during these symptoms.  

I've researched colon and prostate cancer and couldn't find that either cause both blood in stool and in semen. I plan to see a doctor but am scared as I don't want to go through a bunch of unnecessary tests. It  seems that prostate cancer is hard to detect in early stages and doctors may prescribe treatments that cause more damage than good. Should I have my PSA levels checked and have a colonoscopy? I recently started lifting weights again and I'm lifting four days a week. Could this be a cause? What are the likely causes of my symptoms? Prostate or colon cancer?

Thank you very much for taking the time to read and respond to my post.