Colon Cancer Community
Blood work

This patient support community is for discussions relating to colon cancer.

Blood work

I recently had some blood work done (TSH, CBC etc.) and I was wondering if cancer cells or cancer concerns show up in blood tests?
In addition to a lump in my neck that is currently being checked, I have terrible tummy troubles. I 'kinda' told my Endocrinologist about it but not in full detail. (I told her that I am experiencing constipation & kinda diarrhea.) My Grandmother had colon cancer and to be completely honest, my mothers side of the family has a terrible cancer problem (My Great Grandmother, Grandmother, Mother, Aunts, Uncle) and it isn't one consistent cancer.

I am 38 and of healthy weight for my height. I don't smoke, although I do drink beer on occasion. I have been experiencing stomach pain after eating and nausea but no vomiting or weight loss. I've noticed that all of a sudden certain foods really upset my stomach really easily, one being anything spicy. I used to have a stomach of steel, now not so much. My stools have changed. I used to frequently suffer from constipation but now I'm flip flopping between constipation and 'thin' stools with lots of gas but when I evacuate it sometimes comes out explosive like diarrhea (sometimes IS) but not watery like regular diarrhea. The smell is sometimes so foul I gag myself. I used to work in a Nursing home as a unit assistant and my bowel movements smell like some of incontinence patients I helped clean up there. (I apologize for the reference, I mean no disrespect whatsoever.) When I do have a bowel movement I often go up to 10 times a day because I never feel like I got it all out. During these times, I will always evacuate something although it's not a lot. (I rarely have cramping associated with diarrhea) I have flatulence something awful. I have not noticed any blood in my stools.
I have to say, I'm rather embarassed to write these issues, but I'm not sure if it is just my body changing due to aging or something to be of concern. Thank you anyone who can offer any advice.

The symptoms you describe seem to affect your daily routine so the decision to investigate seems reasonable. At your age though, even if there was a family history of cancer you may still be too young. For colon cancer, any screening test is usually offered 10 years before the age of the youngest family member afflicted. Most colon cancer affects people more than 60, and if your loved ones were diagnosed after this age, then a sporadic more than an inherited cancer is probably more likely. You could talk about blood tests in the stool (I would also probably test for malabsorption more than test for cancer) and scopes with your doctor. The consultation with an endocrinologist also seems like a good idea. Stay positive.