Colon Cancer Community
Bowel cancer at 18

This patient support community is for discussions relating to colon cancer.

Bowel cancer at 18

Hey I dont really have much battery life in my phone to go into too much detail right now but I just wanted to say to any of the younger people out there that are worried about having bowel cancer feel free to ask me. I was diagnosed in 1998 with bowel cancer I had just turned 18!! I eventually went into full remission only to be rediagnosed in 2010 with completely unrelated rectal cancer id just turned 30 and I do not have the hereditory kind. Im happy to answer anything but im not here to scare monger most of you especially the teenagers will not have cancer I was just very unlucky however I am proof it can happen...... Im also proof its beatable :-D
I would be interested in knowing what genetic tests you have had.  Colon cancer is extremely rare in one so young, and especially to have rectal cancer that isn't related to the previous colon cancer.  What hereditary colon diseases have they ruled out and how?  Thanks!
Hi :-) I can't remember all the technical names etc but I am not predisposed to polyps of any form I only ever developed 2 unfortunately for me they both turned to cancer. I also have never had IBS, chrones or clolitis. I'm I just extremely unlucky..... Or lucky depending on how you look at it as I am still here dispite being ignored by my dr about my symptoms for nearly a year the first time around and me stupidly ignoring my symptoms for over 6 months due to not wanting to admit it may be back this time around :-/
I think you are very lucky to have caught the cancer in time!  Now it's imperative that you stay one step ahead of this and get your scopes on a regular basis.  As you well know...early intervention is key when it comes to our health.  When you suspect something is wrong seek help because eventually your body will force you and it may be too late.  Without an hereditary colon disease colon cancer in one so young is extremely rare, so I'm happy to hear you beat it....congratulations!  Take care!
Thank you, I'm as amazed as anyone that I've been so lucky especially as it was in 5 lymph nodes this time around and I only managed 3 out of 8 chemo treatments due to surgical wound infections. It is early days as only just in my first year of remission but I'm hopeful :-) I'm really hoping that as long as I get through my 5 years with out any spread that I will have finally said goodbye to it for good as have had my whole colon removed this time including rectum and anus and have a permenent ileostomy now.
hi i am worried have bowel cancer at the min i am so scared of ginig to the doctors could you please tell me what your simptoms where thankyou xx
Hi Jammy, my symptoms varied both times. The first time around my main symptom was simply exhaustion I was constantly tired I was aiming to go in the Army at the time and going to the gym daily but instead of improving my fitness was getting lower and lower. My periods also stopped and I was having some abdominal pain its hard to pinpoint things exactly as I was ignored by the drs for so long that my pain threshold increased so much I could barely feel it. Once I was in the hospital and had had the surgery the drs couldn't believe how much pain I must have been in and just getting on with usual things. The second time around I had a lot of abdominal pain which eventually (I put off going to drs for 6 months) reducing me to tears but it wasn't constant I also had pain going to the toilet which I didn't have the first time around. My periods stopped again and again I was tired but at the time I put that down to the fact that I had just started a new job. The first time around I had no blood in my stools at all old or fresh people really concentrate on that as a symptom but I didn't have it. I did have fresh blood in my stool the second time around due to how low my cancer was in my rectum but it still wasn't every time. Hope this helps..... Although my symptoms are not typical so its also worth a look through some of the other threads my only advice really is if you are worried please go to the dr putting it off only makes it worse.
I have such a lot of bad stomach left side pain and pain in back passage. But also dreadful low backache which is getting worse. GP says its and just gave me an X-ray for arthritis! i am 50. cannot eat wheat dairy nuts or seeds as sets of the stomach pain.Did you have any back pain?
You need to see a Gastroenterologist for an evaluation and have a colonoscopy.  We all need to start having these at age 50, and this is the only test where they can actually view the colon and see exactly what is going on.
You may have some diverticulitis as well since you cannot eat nuts or seeds and this may be causing your pain.  Diverticulitis can be controlled with diet, but it's easy for an infection to happen. Diverticulitis occurs when the lining of the colon develops weak areas causing pockets where seeds, nuts, etc can get lodged and cause pain and/or infection. By seeing a Gastro doc you will be seeing someone who specializes in the digestive tract which your GP doesn't and I'm quite surprised that he hasn't sent you for a colonoscopy.  This may just be arthritis but you need to know for sure, and this way you will.  By seeing a specialist you can catch things early before they become serious.  Make an appt. right away.  I hope this helps and take care.
I had pain in my side the first time around but not as much this time however the pain in my back passage was unbearable (due to a tumour very low down in my rectum) and eventually the reason that I went to the doctor. You definately need to have a colonoscopy and if your doctor won't send you for one demand a second opinion as at 50 with your symptoms in my opinion your doctor should have refered you for one.
Hope this helps and hope everything turns out ok :-)
I am a 14 yr old girl. I have a TON of blood coming from my rectum and I'm really scared. It's a LOT of blood and I just don't know what is wrong with me. Please help.
Hello there,
I just wanted to stop in after reading your post. I am 26 and was just diagnosed with diverticulosis and a 10 mm liver cyst. I have been experiencing alot of abdominal pain as well as my liver area in the right side near the rib cage has been hurting. It all comes and goes. So I I have been told that these things should not cause pain...but I am in pain. Just no idea what is wrong or how to stop the pain. I also have been very tired alot and seem to be losing weight in my face at least. What do you think? What do you recommend I do about the pain? What could rule out cancer? Thank you so very much and hang in there. I believe since you've beat it once you can do it again. God bless