Colon Cancer Community
Bright Red Blood with Bowel Movements

This patient support community is for discussions relating to colon cancer.

Bright Red Blood with Bowel Movements

For the last 2 days, I have had blood with bowel movements.  I didn't feel any pain or discomfort (e.g. no soreness, no stomach pains).  My stool was soft and appeared normal in color.  The blood and stool appeared separate, though there was blood on the stool.  However, the blood had turned the toilet water a bright red.

Could this be colon cancer?

Hi - it depends on your age.  Colon cancer generally occurs only after the age of 40+ - but cases earlier in life have been observed.  If you are young then the less sinister causes are more likely.

You may like to type into google/yahoo etc "rectal bleeding" in order to find causes, symptoms, treatments etc etc so that you are prepared for a consultation with a doctor/GI specialist.

Whatever, you must seek medical advice because rectal bleeding is never normal.  Unless the doctor's diagnosis is definite regarding the less sinister causes, I suggest that you ask for a colonoscopy.  In other words, if the diagnosis is "well it looks as if it might be .... haemorrhoids..." then do ask for the colonoscopy as a way of providing maximum reassurance (hopefully....)

regards
Morecambe