Colon Cancer Community
Colon Cancer?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to colon cancer.

Colon Cancer?

Colonoscopy 7/16 revealed a "wide, flat polyp". Today I was told pathology is "high-grade dysplasia".  It's in the ascending colon, right side.  Dr offered 2nd colonoscopy in 3 months to see how well it's healed, what may have been left behind, or he suggested I can consult a surgeon now and the 3 of us decide what's best.  I"M REALLY SCARED!!  BUT I WANT THIS OUT OF ME!! -  NOW!!
Am I jumping the gun by going to the surgeon now instead of waiting for another colonoscopy in 3 months that might let me know surgery is unnecessary??  HELP!!
Thanks,
Regards,
TTinKKerBBell
I would ask for a referral to a colorectal surgeon asap.  You may want to find out how big the polyp was and how confident your endoscopist is that he was able to remove it completely.  If he's not sure he got it all, which can happen with larger flat polyps, I would seriously consider surgery.  You may also want to find out if he "tattooed" the area.  If you do end up needing surgery, the surgeon may not know exactly where the polyp was, as he won't be able to feel it since it's not there anymore.  The tattoo marks the spot where the polyp was and can be seen at the time of surgery.  If the area was not tattooed and you do need surgery, you may need to have another colonoscopy before the surgery to find the scar and tattoo the spot.  Again, I'd encourage you to see a colorectal surgeon, who can do the colonoscopy as well as the surgery.  He or she can go over all the options with you and help you make your decision.  Best wishes.
I should think the lab report is critical here.  Analysis of the removed tissue can tell whether a margin of healthy tissue was excised around the base of the tumor. If so, your concerns are lessened, but not completely eliminated.  You don't say how large the polyp was.  That your gastroenterologist succeeded in cutting it out indicates it was less than two inches in length.  It can be a tricky business removing polyps in the ascending colon.  There is no reason to panic.  Colon cancer is very slow growing.  In my opinion another colonoscopy in three months won't reveal much.  Perhaps biopsies can be taken, but that still leaves unanswered questions.  The one sure solution is surgery, and I wouldn't settle for anything less than the most experienced specialist in your area.  I had my entire ascending colon removed this past March 11 because of an adenoma found in my cecum during a colonoscopy performed on Dec. 15, 2009.  No cancer cells were found anywhere.  
Thanx to You Both for Your Advice.  I met with the Surgeon today and surgery is scheduled for 10 Aug.  She will remove a section of the ascending colon.  I am THE MOST UNWILLING PATIENT!! but I want this thing named "high grade dysplasia" OUT of me!!  The SOONER the BETTER!!  So with the information provided by the Endoscopist and the Surgeon I opted for this as the most definitive treatment.  I will try to be brave.  Thanks again to both of You for being there for people like me.
Thanx to You Both for Your Advice.  I met with the Surgeon today and surgery is scheduled for 10 Aug.  She will remove a section of the ascending colon.  I am THE MOST UNWILLING PATIENT!!  but I want this thing named "high grade dysplasia"  OUT of me!!  The SOONER the BETTER!!  So with the information provided by the Endoscopist and the Surgeon I opted for this as the most definitive treatment.  I will try to be brave.  Thanks again to Both of You for being here for people like me.
I have a similar case, tubulo-villous adenoma with moderate dysplasia 3 years ago, then a repeated colonscopy this year showed one 2cm flattened villoglandular epithelium of hyperpastic mucosa/polyp.  My colonrectal surgeon suggests me to have anterior resection, while others suggested me to have another colonscopy to be sure as only small pieces of tissues were taken out for pathology analysis.

I'm confused, whether to wait and see, by leaving the hyperplastic mucosa polyp to see if it develop further, or to go for surgery even if it is non conclusive.

Hope someone can help to add a comment.
FloHo