Colon Cancer Community
Colon cancer vs. Ovarian Cancer

This patient support community is for discussions relating to colon cancer.

Colon cancer vs. Ovarian Cancer

My mom is 58 was diagnosed with ovarian cancer stage 3C in Feb 09.  Some of her symptoms before her partial hysterectomy were constipation, bloating and diarhea (diarrhea).  The cancer was attached to the colon and rectum so they werent able to take everything out.  After surgery, she was back in the hospital with a bowel obstruction.  She had her first chemo treatment 3/26 (Carboplatin and Paclitaxel). Came home on the 27th and has been sick ever since (vomiting and diarhea (diarrhea)).  Took her back to the ER on April 3rd - she was completely dehydrated and needed 2 bags of potasium.  She is now is the hospital with them wondering what to do.  They did find a bowel obstruction again, but I can only assume it is the same one she had before that never went away.

Some of the doctors think it is the chemo causing these problems, but I think back to before the surgery and her symptoms and I think it is the cancer causing them?

I am just looking for some sort of symptoms of colon cancer and what they did to treat it.  My mom is very weak, has already lost about 20 lbs and they have her on fluids and nothing to eat/drink.  I have no idea what to do or think at this point.  Did the surgeon not do everything he should have?  Is this the chemo?  or the cancer?

Help!

Shari

Did a gynecological oncologist do your mom's surgery?  I was very sick after first Carbo/Taxol tx.  Nausea and malaise lasted the entire month.  Thought I had an obstruction, went 6 days with no BM.  I got new anti nausea meds with second session which made a world of difference.  They gave me Aloxi in the IV and 3 doses of Emend to take orally on the first second and third days of tx.  Not saying I felt like having a party but it was a vast improvement.  
How come hysterectomy was partial?  
Sharon
I'm so sorry to hear about your mother. When I was sick from chemo, etc., and unable to eat I found marijuana was the only thing that really helped.  It also helped settle my digestive system, and took the edge off the anxiety to a degree.  I hope your mom can get some relief.  Good luck with treatment.

jd
Yes, a gynecological oncologist did the surgery at Rush Hosp in Chicago.  He was highly recommended by many.  He didnt do the full hysterectomy because he said the cancer attached itself to the colon and rectum so he wanted to do what he could which wasnt much, do chemo and then go back and get the rest.

My mom is at Christ hosp in Oak lawn know under the care of her internal med doc who is wonderful!  She was severly dehydrated and is receiving her 3rd back of potasium.  She isnt vomiting anymore but she is belching a lot and still has the diarhea (diarrhea) and she is too weak to get up so they put a cathetar in.  She has lost so much weight in 2 weeks its painful to see all of this happening so fast.  As soon as her fluids, etc are ok, they want to send her for another CT to look at the obstruction and to find out if it is the cancer pushing on the colon that is causing the diahrea.

Very hard times as she has gone through so much in a months time.

Shari