IV Stage Colon Cancer, Ileostomy, Renal Failure
My mother-in-law (64 yrs old) has had 4th Stage Colon Cancer for 4 years. She has had 2 separate colon and liver resections and has recently had surgery for a fistula and blockages in the colon resulting in a permanent ileostomy. The cancer has spread to 3 spots on her liver, 1 on her lung and is scattered through her pelvic region. These tumors have responded well to chemo treatments (thus, I think her living 4 yrs with stage 4 colon cancer) and the doctors keep saying this is a bump in the road, will not give us a prognosis, and seem determined to get her strong enough to get back on chemo. She has recently lost 50 pounds, is very tire and depressed since she's been in and out of the hospital since July of this year. She is still vomiting occasionally when she eats and is now admitted to the hospital again because of an electrolyte imbalance causing possible renal failure.

My question is... "Has anyone been down this road?" I'm getting concerned that this is close to the end for her, while other family members believe this too is just a bump in the road. Do we have 3 months/ 6months/ a year?" We live 4 hours away and I want to know what the future holds for her, or what we can expect for further treatment.
The weight loss will at least be exacerbated by the ileostomy.  While I had an ileostomy and was doing chemo I lost more than a pound per day.  Have her drink as much high calorie beverage as she can.  I found Starbucks hot chocolate helped, because I could absorb some of the calories before it all went in the bag.  

I wish I could give you information about what to expect, but its really hard to know.  These days they can do a lot with chemo.  

Best of luck.

jd
My husband has the same problems and doctors will not give a  time frame, just try to make sure is stay hydrate and eat small meal to keep energy and Pray. That's what I do. It's hard some tome But Stay encouraged maybe just maybe there will be a cure or better meds. You and your Mom are in my Prayer. I know what you are goin through.GOD be with you and family..   PurpleLady 62