Colon Cancer Community
Just had a polyp removed-should I be concerned?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to colon cancer.

I'm 43, male, and I have had bleeding during bowel movements for several years. My family Dr said it was probably from hemmorroids but had me get a colonoscopy yesterday. They told me that they removed one polyp about 8-9 inches up inside my colon and that was likely the cause of the bleeding. The Dr said that it probably wasn't cancerous but they are sending it out for a biopsy. He also told me to come back in a year for a follow up.

I am concerned since he told me to come back so soon. Should I be??? Very nervous right now.
Tags: polyps
No , standard procedure after polyp removal , if they told you to follow up next week I would be more concerned
I usually hear about 3 year intervals between tests but when they said 1 year it made me wonder if this was something really aggressive.

Thanks for your response!
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hello and hope you are doing well.

After one year based on your symptoms and findings, your doctor may revise the follow up schedule. Polyps are very common and occur in 30-50% of adults. Not all polyps become cancerous. It takes many years for a polyp to become cancerous and polyps can be safely removed. Once a polyp is removed it is sent for histopathology study (cell study). Depending on the type of polyp a follow up course is followed. Like for an adenomatous polyp there is chance for it to become malignant (cancer), hence a follow up course is advised. For now life style changes like stopping smoking, avoiding fatty food and substituting fiber rich food will help. Regular exercises to control overweight.  

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.
my hubby just had a colonoscopy monday he had 23 removed dr said they very tiny and no worries, come back in two years.

my sister had 2 removed dr had her come back in 3 months, hers were fine.

each dr is different i would not worry. congrats on a good out come
Were your husband's polyps hyperplastic or adenomas? (Google them if you're not sure.) My polyp was an adenoma with high grade dysplasia so that freaked me out.

I hope that this can be controlled with colonoscopies. It is very disturbing news to hear at 43 yrs old.

Thanks for the message.  
@mzak69, I was diagnosed with rectal cancer at age 35.  In addition, I had 7-8 precancerous tubular adenomas removed during the colonoscopy and subsequent surgery.  I have two young kids at ages 6 and 11.  I cried and whined, but I moved on to accept it and make the best out of it.  I'm doing fine now amd couldn't feel happier in my life.  I feel blessed that the diagnosis and treatment turned me into a much better person.  I hope my story will help you worry less and live more!  Take care.
Did your dr say that it could be controlled by colonoscopies? What is your schedule for follow ups, yearly?

I have to go back next year for a follow up.

Thanks for writing to me and I wish you the best of luck.

Mark
Mark, I'll need colonoscopy at 1 year, then 3 years if normal findings, and 5 years for next one if 2nd colonoscopy is also mormal.  However, in reality & by GI doc experience, I most likely will not have normal colonoscopies, so will need it more frequently.  How frequent will be determined on the size of polyps and their growth rate that they find.  Generally, polyps less than 1.5cm in size are easy to resect endoscopically.  Anything larger than that will be at higher bleeding risk - which happened to me before and I had to be admitted to hospital thru ER for bleeding control & monitoring.  In fact, even if my polyps were benign, I'd still end up in OR b/c of the hemarrhage.
Hello mzak69, there is nothing wrong to worry about this issues. All of the doctors recommended once to get checkup after 1year of the colonoscopy treatment.
Eat more fibers with plenty of water, every will be cure.
When a person is taking more fibers, he/she has to take more water too else the fibers are worsening the constipation issues.
Fiber and water makes your stools bulky and soft so it is easy to expel, and also sufficient amounts of fiber and water helpful in reducing the risk hemorrhoids.
Hello mzak69, As zophai said that every doctor will recommend to get back to checkup after one year. Don't be panic and you got one poly removal luckily it wasn't cancerous. To avoid such kind of colon problems follow a proper diet like vegetables, fruits, fiber rich foods and drink more water. Regular exercises also considerable.  
Dear Mzak, Nothing to worry don’t be panic. I have read all the conversions of this page I found the exact answer of Zophai Roberts. Yes normally after any kind of surgery they doctors recommended us for every half yearly check or yearly because according to your present condition and previous condition they change the medicines. So nothing to be worry be healthy and eat healthy foods.
Hi mzak69, it's also recommended to participate in working out like running as per your body can do. Good exercises also play a vital role in colon issues.
Good Luck.
You need not feel panic anymore as you got rid of the polyps. I know the bleeding is the main concern of yours. Yes the bleeding can be a cause of the colonoscopy. A general routine checkup is always recommended by the specialist after any surgery. Meanwhile turn yourself into a healthy diet that supports the speedy recovery of the inner colon walls. You know cells divide and form new ones. Similarly polyps are the cells which grow but in excess that may be blocking the colon. In turn you should feel happy by listening the news that it isn’t a carcinogenic leading polyp.