Colon Cancer Community
Problem with Colon?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to colon cancer.

Problem with Colon?

Hello, I am 19 and recently have been worried about my colon. I have recently been having thin, ribbon or flat stools for about 2-3 weeks. I do have IBS and tend to be somewhat of a hypochondriac, just to keep that in mind. I started getting a pain with in my left abdomen and figured it was a muscle, so went to the doctor and he pretty much clarified it was a muscle. I asked him if it could be my colon, and that I had these types of stools and he said it was likely my IBS since I have had thin stools before when my IBS kicked in. I haven't been eating well or exercising much lately, which might be one of the causes to this, but today I looked my stool which was thin and it was kind of flat and indented. I also saw some red things in it (which I figured as food), and a little streak of red (like 1cm) and got worried that it was blood. I read that flat stools can be a sign of a tumor and that it can shape it or indent it. I was more worried about the indent than anything. Also, I have no history of colon cancer in my family, but most of us do have IBS.
Thoughts are appreciated, thanks.
Hi.

If you are finding something suspicious in the stool, it may be best to see if there is blood indeed. Discuss about the test as there are some food items that can cause a false positive report. Stay positive.