Colon Cancer Community
Rectal bleeding, heavy bright red blood in stool and lower back pain?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to colon cancer.

Back in July I had a few cases of rectal bleeding after a bowel movement. Two were days apart and the other occurred a couple of weeks after the first. I did not experience any pain or anything, just a toilet full of bright red blood with large clots that I only discovered after I started wiping. I have regular constipation so I assumed it was hemorrhoids or something. It was a lot of blood each time, enough to fill the toilet. I went to see a colorectal surgeon in August and she looked up inside but didn't find anything.

It's been almost two months since my last experience, but today I discovered another toilet full of blood after an easy bowel movement. I wasn't constipated or anything and it came out relatively easy with not too much hard pushing, even though I hadn't had a bowel movement in a while. But there was still enough blood in the toilet that it colored the water red, and it was VERY brightly colored, almost pink, with clots. Afterward, now I am feeling some lower pain in my back. However, there was no pain when I passed the bloody stool. Again, there was a LOT of blood in the toilet.

I am starting to really worry about rectal cancer. Can anyone tell me what it might be? I am going to call that surgeon again and schedule a colonoscopy, but in the meantime I am so worried that I feel like crying. What am I going to do if they can't get me in right away? I don't have colon cancer in my family, but I am still really really worried. Can anyone help?
See a gastroenterologist for a colonoscopy ASAP, not the surgeon.   The colon rectal surgeon should have referred you to one when you saw her!  You're very young to have colon cancer so youth is on your side.  There are other conditions that can cause bleeding, so try not to think the worst.  It's early so whatever it is will be caught very quickly and this is important.  Not to get too personal, but are you sure this is coming from your colon, could it be female related? If you haven't seen your OB-GYN recently, maybe schedule an appt, with him/her as well.  I wish you all the best, everything will be okay.  Take care.
It's not female-related. I was at my OB-GYN back in May and everything was fine.
I'd suggest having a lower GI series done. A colonoscopy will only show part of what could be bleeding internally. Best wishes!
When the blood is a bright red, it is a lower GI bleed, when it is dark or black, it is up higher in the intestine.

Further to all the sensible suggestions above, so that you are more fully informed for your next consultation, I suggest that you google rectal bleeding and click on to one of the many sites.  The Medicinenet site is particularly informative.

Rectal bleeding is never normal and should always be investigated until a firm cause is established.

As mammo says, you are very young to have developed colon cancer - but, if you are so unlucky as to be in the zero point zero zero .... percent that does develop colon cancer then early diagnosis and treatment (which you are following) promotes a very high cure rate.  If your local hospital appears "below par" in their expertise, then seek out a specialist G.I. unit - for instance at a Mayo Clinic or similar.

regards
Morecambe
MD Anderson (Texas) and Emory (Atlanta) are also excellent hospitals for GI problems.
There is the Siteman Cancer Research Center in St. Louis MO which is excellent in diagnostics and treatments with such problems.