Colon Cancer Community
What Happens to Surgical Clips That are Placed to Stop Bleeding of a Re...

This patient support community is for discussions relating to colon cancer.

What Happens to Surgical Clips That are Placed to Stop Bleeding of a Removed Colon Polyp?

I had a colonoscopy in August during which 2 polyps were removed. Surgical clips were placed on 1 to prevent bleeding. 15 days later it began to bleed profusely. Although the doctor did not offer a reason, I suspect 3 days of moderate constipation dislodged the clips and started the bleeding. After receiving 6 pints of plasma and 3 pints of whole blood, i underwent another colonoscopy in which another clip was installed to stop the bleeding. I was told to resume a normal diet 5 days later. My fear is that a normal diet contains so much roughage that the clip could be dislodged and the bleeding would occur again. I feel a soft diet for 30 days to give the polyp more time to heal would be safer. I hope to prevent constipation by drinking prune juice. Also, what happens to the clips? Are they eventually dislodged and passed, or can they stay there forever? Any comments? Thank you.