What Happens to Surgical Clips That are Placed to Stop Bleeding of a Removed Colon Polyp?
I had a colonoscopy in August during which 2 polyps were removed. Surgical clips were placed on 1 to prevent bleeding. 15 days later it began to bleed profusely. Although the doctor did not offer a reason, I suspect 3 days of moderate constipation dislodged the clips and started the bleeding. After receiving 6 pints of plasma and 3 pints of whole blood, i underwent another colonoscopy in which another clip was installed to stop the bleeding. I was told to resume a normal diet 5 days later. My fear is that a normal diet contains so much roughage that the clip could be dislodged and the bleeding would occur again. I feel a soft diet for 30 days to give the polyp more time to heal would be safer. I hope to prevent constipation by drinking prune juice. Also, what happens to the clips? Are they eventually dislodged and passed, or can they stay there forever? Any comments? Thank you.
The surgeon told my husband the clips would come out on their own in His stool.