What is causing this?
Hi, I am 40 yr old male.  I have had symtoms like pain during BM and some blood on the tissue since about 10 yrs ago. Currently I do not experience any such symptoms for few yrs.  However, I have noticed that the skin color around the rectum has darkened and it is spreading and I don't know how long this has been.  Could these be related?

The condition you described doesn’t sound specific for anything in particular. Darkening of the skin around the anus may be natural, you could compare the color with some other areas of your body like the nipples. In general, the regularity of the color (meaning not variegated or speckled) is a farily good sign, if there are irregularities then this may be worth checking out. I wonder how you are able to observe the color at all, if you are using a mirror then I imagine that amount of light you are able to deliver on the area is little and may make it look darker than it really is.