Colon Cancer Community
What percent of cancer cases are found in flex sig?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to colon cancer.

I had a flex sig a few years ago and am 29.  Everything was perfect.  Precipitating event for the flex sig was blood in stool.  No hemorrhoids or abnormalities were found and was attributed to straining due to weight lifting.  I have lately (two years later) been feeling like when I finish my stool, it is not complete.  When I stand up, it feels like there is a lump by my rectum.  I went to the doctor and he did not see an external hemorrhoid and referred me to a gastroenterologist  to check for internal hemmorhoids.  Longer story short, since the flex sig only covers 1/3 of colon, how many cases are found in the later 2/3 of the colon?  How worried should I be?  I don't know if incomplete stool feeling is a sign of hemorrhoids?  Thanks all.

The flexible sigmoidoscopy would miss about 20% of cancers that a colonoscopy would be able to find. The sensation of an incomplete passage of stool is not a specific sign for cancer. If there is some difficulty passing stool, then it may be a sign of an obstruction, which an evaluation whether or not it is benign or malignant becomes important. Based on your age, the odds of finding a malignancy would be small, hence the advantage for the colonoscopy may not actually exist, as compared to let’s say a man of 60 years or older. Stay positive.
Hello    I am a 78 yr old female.  The local Dr. did a Colonoscopy on 11/16/2011 . Findings: A diverticulum was found in the left colon.  Mild diverticulosis was found in the sigmoid colon.  Retroflexed views in the rectum revealed no abnormalities.  The scope was then wiythdrawn from the patient and the procedure terminated.   Complications:  None  The reason for it was I had been having dierahea alot.  No pain.    Then on Jan 31, 2012 I went and seen a Gastroenterologist and than sent him several samples and did blood work.  He called today and they would like to do a Flex ( what is that) because under miroscope there was sign of blood.  Have never had any pain just change in blowels the last 6 months.  Please let me know what to do.   Thank you,