Aa
A
A
Close
886035 tn?1240873636
When should I get my first colonoscopy/sigmoidoscopy
I am a 52yo female, and I understand the importance of getting a baseline colonoscopy.  I had the fecal occult blood test in August and it came back negative for blood in the stool.  I asked my doctor to refer me to the gastroenterolist so I can schedule my first sigmoidoscopy.  He refused saying that because there's no blood in my stool, I just need to take the blood test again in August.  I believe that you do not have to have blood in the stool to have polyps, and that a baseline test should be given.  
  What is your opinion?
Cancel
1 Answers
Page 1 of 1
You should have a baseline colonoscopy at age 50, earlier if you have family history of colorectal cancer.   Your doctor is misinformed - demand that test right away.  Colonoscopy saves lives!  Based on my family history I should have had my baseline colonoscopy by age 40 or earlier.  I did not have the test til age 46, by which time I had Stage IIIc cancer.  Get the test, it will give you peace of mind and you may save yourself a lot of grief and pain.  Good luck.  Please post again and let us know how it goes.

jd
Comment
Cancel
Comment
Comment
Comment
Comment
Post Comment
Your Answer
Answer
Do you know how to answer? Tap here to leave your answer...
Answer
Answer
Post Answer
A
A
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Colon Cancer Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
233488 tn?1310696703